After many years of counseling with parents one-on-one on the phone, in my living room, or in small groups in my town, I’m excited to bring this message of encouragement to a wider audience. No matter what size your group is, I can provide encouragement and practical information that will empower you to confidently take charge of your children’s education.
It does not take a Super-Mom to homeschool her kids! I firmly believe that all parents are equipped to take complete responsibility for their child’s upbringing, and that includes their education. God picked YOU as the parent to your children, and He has already given you the ability to raise them, train them, and guide them — wherever you are right now.
You don’t need a college degree, two incomes, or a perfect life. All you need to begin is the desire and conviction. If you feel in your heart that homeschooling is what’s best for your children, God will provide the grace and the tools to do it. If you are a single mom, have a special-needs child, are a high-school drop-out, or simply a parent who wants more for their child, I have good news for you: it can be done under all circumstances.
I can encourage you to start right where you are, because I’ve been right where you are. I have been a homeschool student; a homeschool mom since 2000; a single, working homeschool mom; and a co-op director; I’ve learned that circumstances don’t determine success.
[ If you’re interested in attending a scheduled event, please scroll to the bottom of the page for my calendar ]
A little about me? I’m a 2nd-generation homeschooler, 9th-generation Texan, Christian wife and mother to 5 children. I serve on the Texas Home Educators Advisory Board and The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Review Crew. You can also find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Location: I live in North Texas and will travel within a reasonable distance from the DFW metroplex. Please submit the form below for consideration.
- Venue: Your only responsibility is to secure a location and be my point of contact for the event. The meeting facility can be pretty flexible; churches, civic centers, and library meeting rooms are all great options. The main thing I ask for is a microphone (because I’m not great at projecting my voice!). You may also want to consider whether you will provide childcare and/or refreshments. Simply fill out the form below and choose the best options for your group. I will create an event link for you to share!
- Schedule: My workshops can be scheduled in a variety of ways: chose one or several topics to combine for a morning, afternoon, evening, or all-day event.
- Fees: The fee per person/couple is $5 for a 1 hour workshop; anything over one hour (including the long “Anyone Can Homeschool” session, or a combination of all sessions) will be capped at $10 per person/couple. I highly encourage spouses to attend together whenever possible. Participants will simply reserve their spot on my event website and pay the fee online.
- Anyone Can Homeschool – How to Get Started (45 minutes + Q&A) – Homeschooling is an extension of parenting, and every parent can do it. In this session, I’ll take you through a fast-paced hour of why homeschooling is such a blessing to the family, as well as what it looks like to begin your journey. I’ll cover everything from withdrawing from public school, homeschooling methods, curriculum options, budgeting, high school, and graduation. We’ll take time for a Q&A session at the end. Each participant will receive a notes handout, as well as a follow-up email with links to more info!
- Anyone Can Homeschool – Setting Up a Homeschool (3 hour session) – If you’re ready to get started, or maybe you’ve already started and just need more ideas and encouragement, this is the session for you! I’ll walk through all the aspects of homeschooling: goals, methods, curriculum, socialization, ages and stages, schedules, homeschooling on any budget, and even special circumstances. We’ll take time for a Q&A at the end. Participants will receive handouts, as well as a follow-up email with links to all the information discussed. This workshop works great with a break for refreshments!
- Homeschooling in Texas (45 minutes + Q&A) Texans are blessed to homeschool with complete freedom! There are no requirements for reporting, testing, or schedules. In this workshop I’ll go over what the Texas Education Code states for homeschoolers, finding local support groups, Texas history resources, driver’s education, and more. Participants will receive handouts as well as a follow up email with links to all information discussed.
- Keeping the Home in Homeschool (45 minutes + Q&A) – This is a topic that is so strong on my heart. Over the years that homeschooling has grown in popularity, I’ve seen a shift from home-centered, family-centered education to a major outsourcing of lessons (and influence). I’ll share what’s on my heart about the importance of a family-centered lifestyle, and how this reduces stress, saves money, and has a lasting impact on your children.
- How to Start a Homeschool Co-op (45 minutes + Q&A) – One of my favorite aspects of homeschooling is the never-ending opportunities that we can provide for our children. In my own life, I’ve watched countless programs spring up because a few parents saw a need and created the solution. Co-ops are a wonderful option for friendships, classes, and support. The possibilities are almost endless: academic, enrichment, and everything in between. I’ll share my experience as a founder and director of a co-op. We’ll talk about considering goals, facility, leadership, liabilities, and logistics.
Choose a Date
Check the calendar at the bottom of this page for my availability, and then submit an Event Inquiry Form.
© nickitruesdell.com 2009-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to nickitruesdell.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
T.H.E. M.G.A. Winter Conference 9:30 am
T.H.E. M.G.A. Winter Conference @ Morning Glory Academy
Jan 7 @ 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Keeping the HOME in Homeschooling I am excited to join other veteran homeschool moms for this encouraging and refreshing conference! I will be sharing on one of my favorite topics: a home-centered education. In the[...]
Wichita Falls Tea Party Meeting 7:00 pm
Wichita Falls Tea Party Meeting @ Red River Harley Davidson
Jan 19 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Topic: School Choice and Homeschooling: I look forward to speaking to the Wichita Falls Tea Party Patriots on the hot topic of School Choice, and how it is being promoted for the 2017 Texas Legislative[...]